Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Academic / Research
The Vanderbilt Memory and Alzheimer's Center seeks qualified applicants for a Statistical Genetic Analyst II to Independently and/or as member of a research team apply a variety of intermediate and advanced statistical genetic techniques and technical skills to promote the collection, analysis and interpretation of data arising from research studies in an academic research program.
The Vanderbilt Memory and Alzheimer's Center houses an interdisciplinary team of scientists and clinicians committed to discovering the root cause of Alzheimer's disease. Our approach combines innovative methods in genomics, biomarkers, brain imaging, and vascular assessments. With growing evidence that brain and vascular health are intertwined, we seek to map the pathways that lead to Alzheimer's disease pathology and cognitive decline among older adults. We are inspired by the communities we serve and the knowledge that our work will contribute to reducing the immense burden that Alzheimer's disease creates on patients and families.
- Collaborate as a member of a research team on the design of a research project.
- Provide statistical genetic expertise in the design of research projects, focusing on fundamental issues including specification of hypotheses and basic study design.
- Assist the research team in the design of methods to collect information, including the design of questionnaires and other data collection instruments, following the study design developed for the research program.
- Participate in the development of operations and procedures for the collection, editing, verification and management of data.
- Assist in preparing preliminary plan for analysis of a research study; present such plans to the research team and prepare final analysis plans based on team input.
- Collaborate as a member of a research team on the implementation and analysis of a research project.
- Implement planned analysis, including data verification and data correction as necessary, using one or more systems of computer hardware and statistical genetic analysis software for the management and analysis of data.
- May assign and direct the work of technical staff engaged in the collection or analysis of statistical data
- Manipulate standard data formats to create input and output formats for statistical genetic analysis software.
- Assist in the publication of research projects.
- Participate in the preparation of written reports and oral presentations summarizing data analysis results, including detailed description of statistical genetic methods, detailed analysis of results, and synthesis of conclusions from summary tables
- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
This position requires a Master's degree (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year of relevant experience.
The ideal candidate has statistical data analysis experience preferably from an academic setting.
Proficiency in data analysis software and all Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, is expected.
The successful candidate should be extremely organized, efficient, detail oriented, a team player, and a self-starter. Additionally, the candidate should possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be able to think and function independently. S/he must be able to multi-task while remaining helpful and courteous. Excellent time management and planning skills are essential.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is dependent on experience and education.
Our Academic Enterprise is one of the nation's longest serving and most prestigious academic medical centers. Through its historic bond with Vanderbilt University and integral role in the School of Medicine, Vanderbilt Health cultivates distinguished research and educational programs to advance a clinical enterprise that provides compassionate and personalized care and support for millions of patients and family members each year.
World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.
Aligning with Vanderbilt Health's Strategic Directions, the Office of Research provides shared research resources, administrative expertise and professional guidance to enable the trans-disciplinary environment and highly collaborative culture that advances discovery and training for all the research faculty, trainees, students and staff.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance. Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment. Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area. Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues:- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy, and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance e and gain knowledge in new areas.- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences. Delivering Excellent Services:- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness. Ensuring High Quality: - Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring. Managing Resources Effectively: - Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities. Fostering Innovation:- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Work Experience :
Relevant Work Experience
Experience Level :
Less than 1 year
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.