The Genetic Counselor works under the direction of the Practice Director and the providers. This position provides genetic counseling and education to individuals with high risk pregnancies. Acts as a liaison with physicians and clinicians to coordinate patient laboratory and diagnostic testing and results reporting.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
1. Provide genetic counseling to individuals with high risk pregnancies including information pertaining to risk factors, genetic concepts and inheritance.
2. Collects medical and family history from patients from a variety of sources including personal interviews, telephone screenings, medical records review and conferring with clinicians.
3. Develops detailed models analyzing inheritance patterns to calculate and report risks. Identifies risks that may benefit from genetic screening, testing and/or counseling.
4. Coordinates genetic testing, including obtaining insurance authorizations and physician referrals. Schedules laboratory and related diagnostic testing. Reviews information with physicians and participates in the development of treatment plans as appropriate. Tracks results to ensure that all required tests are completed and "resulted".
5. Provides follow up care of patients as necessary and assists in patient referral process.
6. Perform psychosocial needs assessment to provide appropriate crisis counseling services and written resource information to facilitate referrals to support services.
7. Maintain patient educational resources and literature. May prepare and present information to academic and community groups.
8. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Masters Degree in Genetic Counseling required.
2. Licensure/Certifications: Board certified or board eligible by the American Board of Genetics Counseling or American Board of Medical Genetics.
About New Hanover Regional Medical Center - Glen Meade Physicians Group
Forbes Magazine has announced New Hanover Regional Medical Center is one of America’s Best Employers of 2018. Our organization is the region’s largest healthcare provider, employing over 7,000 people who have a passion for making a positive difference in the lives of others. This is the ideal place for you to further your career.
If you are looking to take the next step in your career, Wilmington, NC is a growing coastal community of around 100,000 people in Southeastern North Carolina. Enjoy living and working where most people vacation. Year-round boating, golf, fishing, tennis, and biking are available. We have a vibrant, historical downtown with excellent restaurants and an active cultural arts community.
New Hanover Regional Medical Center offers a benefits package designed to ensure access to quality healthcare and help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
• Teaching hospital, regional referral center, and Level II Trauma Center
• Southeastern North Carolina’s largest employer with more than 7,000 employees
Join Our Talented Team Today!
Leading Our Community to Outstanding Health
EOE - NHRMC is committed to inclusion and diversity