JOB SUMMARY: At Houston Methodist, the responsibility of the Cancer Genetic Counselor (CGC) position is to deliver genetic counseling for individuals with genetically caused and predisposed disorders or diagnosed with or at risk for cancers with hereditary genetic components. This position functions as part of an interprofessional team including physicians, Ph.Ds., nurses and other allied health professionals. The CGC position works in an interdisciplinary setting, with opportunity for participation in collaborative research efforts in both clinical and multiple community-based settings.
**This position will work in the Cancer Centers at Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital & Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate
Focuses on patient/customer safety
Delivers personalized service using Houston Methodist Service Standards
Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
PEOPLE - 30%
1. Provides genetic counseling to individuals identified with predisposing characteristics or at potentially elevated risk for developing cancer. Includes the ability to elicit and interpret individual and family medical and psychosocial histories, provide cancer risk assessment, communicate pertinent disease and risk information clearly, provide counseling regarding genetic testing including the results, and support patients’ psychosocial needs. Develops educational materials, reviews patient charts, contacts family members when appropriate, and conducts public and professional presentations.
2. Provides follow-up to genetic counseling visits as indicated including arranging consultations with other specialists, computerized risk assessment modeling, completing consultation reports, obtaining outside medical records or specimens, facilitating authorization for patients’ insurance coverage for genetic testing, telephone communication with patients, facilitating family communication and requesting follow-up visits. Prepares and presents cases as indicated at cancer conferences by the interprofessional health care team.
3. Facilitates the identification of high risk patients for genetic counseling and clinical research protocols. Provides genetic screening and counseling services in multiple Houston Methodist care centers.
4. Supervises students during their cancer genetics rotation, participating in the psychosocial course, and providing student evaluations including the development of appropriate tools to monitor student progress.
SERVICE - 20%
1. Serves as primary contact and liaison for specified clinical departments/physician offices and community entities in regard to Cancer Genetic Counseling. Provides education to the public, students, and health care professionals related to hereditary cancer and genetic counseling. Identifies and helps develop patient, professional and public education materials and presentations. Provides seminars and presentations as appropriate.
2. Helps drive improvement of department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability to service standards.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Identifies opportunities for process improvement to improve the quality of the department, providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. Works with the leadership and IT team to create and/or enhance current operational and documentation of efficiencies to improve the quality of information entered in the medical record. Audits adherence to program and hospital initiatives.
2. Tracks data for all consulted patients and logs information within the EMR and other databases as indicated. Reports data as required.
3. Improves quality and safety scores on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability and collaborating with the interprofessional health care team.
FINANCE - 10%
1. Provides statistical data to appropriate persons; reports on required data at identified meetings.
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Assists with patient recruitment both inside and outside the institution. Participates in the design, writing or editing of research protocols as requested. Initiates new research projects and works with the interprofessional health care team to implement these projects. Assists with clinical studies as needed. Performs database and primary literature searches as necessary.
2. Attends tumor boards and other meetings as required. Attends subject specialty conferences so as to embrace best evidence and increase own knowledge in the related field.
3. Expands own knowledge and serves as instructor in continuing education or formal program and expert consultation. Identifies, plans, and implements education for the unit and service line in collaboration with team members and interdisciplinary partners.Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis.
Master’s degree in genetic counseling
Zero years of experience required
Prefer three years’ of experience in risk assessment and counseling for genetic diseases
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Certification by the American Board of Genetic Counseling or American Board of Medical Genetics (ABGC/ABMGC) within 18 months of eligibility
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Demonstrates ability to work with diverse individuals and community groups
Displays professionalism, remains composed under stress, and takes responsibility for delivering on personal and organizational commitments
Able to work independently and possesses organization/time management and prioritization skills
Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office applications
Internal Number: 45646
About Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound.... Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.