The primary responsibility of this position is to provide prenatal and preconception genetic counseling to a diverse population referred for high risk indications and fetal anomalies. The Prenatal Genetic counselor will have autonomy within the multidisciplinary team and will work with other genetic counselors. This work may include training/ orienting new hires, supervising genetic counseling students and involvement in clinical and PDC meetings with division members. Works closely with manager and other department leads to promote the provision of optimum care, in a supportive work environment.
• Assists our MFM physician and staff in the coordination of patient care
• Provides prenatal and preconception genetic counseling for patients
• Obtains, analyzes, counsels, educates and provides follow-up for individuals whose families are at risk for genetic diseases or birth defects.
• Provides written communication to referring doctors that details genetic counseling sessions and any related genetic testing results.
• Computer/equipment (Explorer, Excel, Word, Outlook, EPIC preferred)
• Multi-task and work independently
• Good communication skills (verbal and written) Ability:
• Ability to communicate effectively with patient and the health care team
• Ability to anticipate areas of difficulty and conflict and work towards resolutions
• Competent in interviewing and counseling techniques to elicit information from patients or family and provide help in arriving at informed decisions
• Knowledge of genetic and mathematics principles to understand the limitations of genetic screening/testing
• Ability to interpret and understand the significance of specialized laboratory and genetic procedures, such as NIPT, microarray etc…
• Help families and individuals recognize and cope with their emotional and psychological needs
• Recognize situations requiring referral to other specialists
• Transmit pertinent information effectively
• Familiarity with CA Prenatal Screening Program
• Spanish Speaking
• ABGC/ABMG Board Certified/Board Eligible
• California Genetic Counseling license/provisional license
• Master’s Degree in Human Genetics/Genetic Counseling
Prenatal Genetic Counseling experience preferred
• Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients/ families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues.
• Exhibits tact and professionalism
• Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PH) or other sensitive and personal information
• Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
• Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organization/departmental targets.
Internal Number: 1
About UCSF Benioff Children's Physicians
UCSF Benioff Children's Physicians (UBCP) is a multi-specialty physician foundation, and an
associated clinically integrated network. Our primary goal is to foster physician collaboration to
deliver the most advanced maternal and pediatric care throughout Northern California and
beyond. We have Pediatric and Maternal Fetal Medicine clinics located throughout the San
Francisco Bay Area.