• Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis, TN, is seeking genetic counselors to join our growing team of 4 medical geneticists, 2 genetic counselors, 2 metabolic dietitians and dedicated genetics nursing staff.
• Home to the only pediatric tertiary care center, Level IV accredited epilepsy program and Level I pediatric trauma center in the Mid-South, Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital is a 255- bed pediatric facility that provides care to children from throughout the West Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi tri-state region and from across the country. Le Bonheur also provides outpatient care in all the pediatric subspecialties, including cancer care in partnership with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. At Le Bonheur, interdisciplinary teams work together to provide exceptional care for each patient.
• Genetic counselors at Le Bonheur will have the opportunity to provide inpatient counseling to patients with a variety of genetic conditions in collaboration with multiple specialties.
• Additionally, the genetic counselor will play active roles in the general genetics, Neurofibromatosis and Inborn Errors of Metabolism clinics.
• As the referral center for abnormal newborn screening results for West Tennessee, the division of Medical Genetics manages several patients with a variety of metabolic genetic disorders.
• The genetic counselor will also have opportunities to see and counsel adult patients with conditions such as neuromuscular and connective tissue disorders in the outpatient clinics. • Opportunities for involvement in multidisciplinary clinics also exist and allow genetic counselors to pursue interests in specific clinical areas.
• In collaboration with the Children’s Foundation Research Institute, a partnership between Le Bonheur, the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, and the Children’s Foundation of Memphis, opportunities for implementing clinical research are available.
• Le Bonheur is home to the pediatric residency program through the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, as well as multiple pediatric sub-specialty fellowships. Genetic counselors at Le Bonheur have the opportunity to be involved in teaching and facilitating genetics education among pediatric residents, medical students and fellows from various sub-specialties.
• The Tennessee Genetic Counselors’ Association is an active group of more than 30 genetic counselors in the state and facilitates networking and collaboration across the state.
• Memphis has all the amenities that come with being the 23rd largest city in the U.S. but with a cost of living more than 15 percent below the national average.
• Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital is a Magnet-designated hospital (American Nurses Credentialing Center), and has been named as a top children’s hospital by U.S. News & World Reports for six consecutive years and is included in Fortune’s 20 Best Places to Work in Healthcare.
Job responsibilities include coordinating management of patients; facilitating communication between the division of Medical Genetics and patients/other providers; obtaining and interpreting family histories; triaging referrals; reporting test results; discussing natural history of disorders, recurrence risks, management recommendations, availability of prenatal diagnosis, etc.; performing psychosocial needs assessment and responding to these needs; facilitating referrals to local and national resource/support groups; providing follow-up on patient care and diagnoses; promoting education for providers and patients/community; serve as a resource to physicians, residents, and other health care providers; other functions as needed.
• Master of Science in Genetic Counseling required. Board eligible/board certified through the American Board of Genetic Counseling. Tennessee state license or temporary license should be obtained prior to start date.
Anything that matters to children, matters to us. Everything we do gives each child we serve at Le Bonheur a chance to enjoy a healthier and safer childhood.
Recognized among the nation’s “Best Children’s Hospitals” by U.S. News & World Report, Le Bonheur is always on the side of children, advocating on their behalf so we can provide them with the care they need.
It’s been that way since we ...opened in 1952. We’ve mattered to children every day since.
From the ordinary bumps and sniffles of childhood to its most life-altering extremes, Le Bonheur Children’s is prepared for whatever a child’s life might throw at us. We are never surprised by what kids bring with them when they come through our doors.